The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects

Browse Items (253 total)


    The first Cabbage Patch Settlement House built for the purpose was constructed in late 1910 or early 1911, at 1461 Ninth Street (the second house from Burnett). In an interview, founder Louise Marshall remembered, “There was just one room and a closet on the first floor, and then at the back of the house you went upstairs to the second floor. We had a side yard that we played in and we had the first floor as a playroom and the upstairs we fixed for living quarters…. Upstairs we had, in addition to the living quarters, a children’s library and an adult library that was a branch of the public library.”

    The passport photo of Louise Marshall from 1918. Louise Marshall was the founder of the Cabbage Patch Settlement House; she took a break from her work with the institution to join the Red Cross efforts in France after World War I.

    Plays were a popular activity for the youth at The Cabbage Patch; the girls created elaborate costumes for this production of Cinderella in 1918

    From left standing: Miss Grace Pollock, Leader; Mrs. Forsch; Miss Margaret Speed, Head Resident. Others in picture include Mrs. Hattie Lynam, Mrs. William Lynam, Mrs. Ed. LaDuke, Mrs. Thomas Montgomery
  • 987PC52X_002.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell poses with her dogs in front of a house.
  • 987PC52X_015.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell's painting class at Frederick MacMonnies' studio in Paris. Enid stands behind MacMonnies staring at the camera. Frederick William MacMonnies, an American, was one of the first sculptors to accept female students.
  • 987PC52X_019.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell and Baroness Geysa Hortense de Braunecker with Mary Crosby Hunt bas relief [1898] posing in studio. The current location of this bas relief is unknown.
  • 987PC52X_020.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell and Baroness Geysa Hortense de Braunecker pose with a bicycle in the French countryside. Enid is on the right holding a bicyle, and Geysa Hortense de Braunecker is holding a dog. Both women are wearing hats.
  • 987PC52X_023.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell, (seated, third from the right) sits with fellow Red Cross members at the Debarkation Records Department in New Jersey.
  • 987PC52X_069.jpg

    Statue of Pallas Athena outside the Parthenon, displayed at the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in Nashville, Tennessee. The statue was twenty-five feet tall (forty feet with the base) and became the symbol of the Exposition. It was an exact copy of the "Pallas de Velletrie" in the Louvre and was produced in staff, a combination of plaster, hemp, and cement. It eventually fell apart due to outdoor exposure. Today limited images exist of the full statue, including this one housed at the Filson.
  • 987PC52X_071.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell (center), Janet Scudder (left), and two other women pose on scaffolding in front of a caryatide in Lorado Taft's studio in Chicago. Enid along with Janet worked in Taft's studio together during the World's Columbian Exposition, better known as the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.
  • 987PC52X_086.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell poses in her studio in front of the plaster cast of the Carrie Brown Memorial Fountain. She is holding some of the tools used to sculpt the piece.
  • 987PC52X_109.jpg

    Front view of marble statue of Hermes, Enid's final project for the Art Academy of Cincinnati.
  • 987PC52X_112.jpg

    Victory statue made of staff or plaster which was commissioned for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis, MO. Two identical versions were made - one of staff and one of plaster. The Municipal Museum in St. Louis, MO owns the plaster.
  • 987PC52X_116.jpg

    Detail of Pan and the terrapins on Hogan's Fountain in Cherokee Park.
  • 987PC52X_121.jpg

    The Five Senses Fountain at an unknown site. The fountain was cast in bronze and measured 7' H, 5'3" in diameter at the basin. This was one of two works which Yandell exhibited in the 1913 Armory Show.
  • 987PC52X_125.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell poses with model and sculpture of Indian Chief Ninigret. This was Enid's last major public commission which depicted the Niantic chief know for his peaceful relations with European settlers in his territory of Rhode Island. The model for the figure was a member of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, performing in Paris at the time. The finished work presently rests on a rock beside the bay in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. A version of Chief Ninigret was one of two works which Yandell exhibited in the 1913 Armory Show. The other work featured was the Five Sense Fountain.
  • 987PC52X_166.jpg

    Enid Bland Yandell painting or drawing a nude female figure, no date.
  • 987PC52X_233.jpg

    Bust of Emma Willard. The notation reads Public Library, Albany, New York.
  • 987PC52X_246.jpg

    Half figure bust of Mademoiselle Deckert de la Meillaie with her hair pulled up on top of her head and a shawl wrapped around her bare shoulders. Her hand rests on the head of a dog. One of only two known portraits by Yandell in the half-figure format (the other is the 1907 likeness of Dr. Bull), this figure represents a French friend of Enid's. The painted plaster is part of the Speed Art Museum's collection and the marble version is part of The Fine Arts Museum of Nantes collection in Nantes, France.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2