The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects

Browse Items (76 total)

  • MssBJ_C112_1531_access_reduction.mp3

    The second portion of an interview with Roosevelt Chin (1933-2007), a lifetime worker at the Cabbage Patch Settlement House in Louisville, Kentucky. Interview conducted by Keith Cardwell. The interview duration is one hour exactly. Contains racial slurs. Chin recounts a time when he was young and tried to walk to the Cabbage Patch, only to get lost in the city. Chin describes the Protestant founder of the Cabbage Patch, Louise Marshall (1888-1981), and recalls her lack of trust of Catholics. Chin recalls his experiences with Lloyd Redman (d. 2013), an athletics coach at the Cabbage Patch. Chin describes his early jobs at the Cabbage Patch and at Miss Marshall’s home, as well as his early impressions of Miss Marshall. Chin describes the conflicts between himself and other staff members, namely Charles Dietsch (1932-2020) and Jim Cooksey (d. 2015), after Miss Marshall became inactive in the early eighties. Chin discusses the establishment of a new board and the hiring of executive director Tracy Holladay at that time. Chin describes how the Cabbage Patch got its name in the early 1910s, as well as the settlement house’s connection to famous author Alan Hegan Rice (1870-1942). Chin describes the impact that the Cabbage Patch and Miss Marshall had upon himself and his entire family. Chin briefly describes the daycare and the well-baby clinic. Chin briefly details the Cabbage Patch as it existed in the 70s and the impact of the summer program director Rod Napier upon various activities at that time.

    For the first portion of the interview, see https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/items/show/7008
  • MssBD_B661_Vol1_lowres.pdf

    An indexed membership register for the Louisville, Kentucky, B’nai B’rith Mendelssohn Lodge, a Jewish fraternal organization. The register documents members from 1860 to at least 1921. Recorded member information includes their name, place of residence, occupation, marital status, number of children, and date they were inducted.

    The Har-Moriah Lodge No. 14 (“Mt. Moriah”) opened in Louisville in October 1852 and a second B’nai B’rith lodge, the Mendelssohn Lodge No. 40, opened in Louisville in May 1860. Many of the early lodge members were recent Jewish immigrants from parts of now modern Germany who had strong bonds through neighborhood proximity, marriage, and business ventures. The Har Moriah and Mendelssohn lodges officially merged in February 1904 and became Louisville Lodge No. 14.

    Note: The PDF is 523 pages long, so please be patient while it loads.

    For the full collection finding aid, see https://filsonhistorical.org/research-doc/bnai-brith-louisville-lodge-no-14-louisville-ky-records-1860-1921/
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/12/988pc35x_52.jpg

    Cyanotype of Margaret Plympton Franklin Spaulding with her daughter Margret. One woman is holding the family dog and the other a bouquet.
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/12/004pc28_12.jpg

    Photograph of three young children outside with a cat. The children are unidentified but are related to the Dudley family of Flemingsburg, Kentucky. It is possible that the two of the children may be siblings Carrie and Bruce Dudley. Carrie Douglas Dudley Ewen (1894-1985), known artistically as “Doug Ewen,” was a Louisville-born artist who painted portraits, illustrated children’s books and cookbooks, and even designed greeting cards. Bruce Dudley (1892-1964), served as sports editor for The Courier-Journal, as well as president of the Louisville Baseball Club and Louisville Colonels.
  • MssBA_P738_F01_001.pdf

    The West Louisville Evangelical Church of Louisville, Kentucky Articles of Incorporation is a 3-page typescript that describes the administrative structure and functions of the church. The Articles of Incorporation include the names of the members who founded the church and outlines the term lengths of the Board of Trustees.
  • MssBI_P852_Portland_optimized.pdf

    Register of the Portland Colored Evening School (Portland neighborhood, Louisville, Kentucky) for 1909-1915. Records name, age, place of residence, occupation, enrollment and/or transfer dates, and vaccination. Two loose documents inserted in the volume include a list of student names and Minetta Warnell Jackson's 1915 Certificate of Graduation. A feather pen is also included. Only a representative sample of blank pages were scanned.

    Henrietta Helm (1863-1942) operated the school and taught the majority of classes represented in the register.
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/mssba_p738_vol11_marriages.pdf

    24-page record of marriages of members of West Louisville Evangelical Church, Louisville, Kentucky. The register lists the names of the couple, witnesses, marriage date and location, and officiating clergyman. These pages are part of a larger register for the church: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/items/show/6650
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/mssba_p738_vol11_deaths.pdf

    25-page record of deaths of members of West Louisville Evangelical Church, Louisville, Kentucky. The register lists the deceased person's name, death date, birthdate, date of internment and location, and officiating clergyman.
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/mssba_p738_vol11_confirm.pdf

    34-page record of confirmation classes at West Louisville Evangelical Church in the Shawnee neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. The register lists varied information for each confirmand, which can include their confirmation date, name, birthdate, memory verse, address, father's name, mother's name, baptism date, and class song.
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/mssba_p738_vol11_baptisms.pdf

    35-page record of baptisms conducted at West Louisville Evangelical Church in the Shawnee neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. The register lists the child's name, parents, birthdate, baptism date, and sponsors.
  • MssBA_P738_vol11.pdf

    Members of a Sunday school operated by the German St. Peter's Evangelical Church formed the West Louisville Evangelical Church in 1915. The congregation built a church in the Shawnee neighborhood at 245 South 41st Street in 1916. A new sanctuary was constructed circa 1926-1927. In 1957, the church changed its name to the West Louisville United Church of Christ. In 1986, the West Louisville United Church of Christ closed due to declining membership, in part because of white flight from West Louisville, and problems maintaining the property. The remaining congregation became members of the historically Black Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ.

    This register contains entries for marriages, baptisms, confirmations, attendance at communion services, and deaths from 1916-1945. Members' attendance at communion services is also recorded for 1964-1966. Loose inserts in the ledger include a 1935 license to solemnize marriages for Rev. C. T. Rausch, a 1968 request for a baptism record, undated genealogy notes, and a 1992 Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ bulletin.
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/ymha_001.jpg

    Architectural plans by Joseph & Joseph architects. These drawings detail Jewish Louisville architects Joseph & Joseph’s plan for all floors of their new Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA) building at the corner of Second and Jacob streets. The new building plans reflected the YMHA's expanded efforts to provide educational and cultural programs to Louisville's Jewish community in addition to recreational amenities. The plans show the new building's facilities, including a library, classrooms, billiard room, and a two-story gymnasium with an elevated track. The drawings also indicate materials used, such as marble for the shower stalls in the basement.

    This item is included in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit at: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/second-and-college-1913-1955
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/07_chronicler-cover-jan.-1916.jpg

    Cover of the YMHA Chronicler.

    This item is included in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit at: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/second-and-college-1913-1955
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/05_ymha-orchestra-rehersal-ca.-1920.jpg

    Photograph of Morris Simon leading a Louisville, Kentucky, Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA) Orchestra practice.
  • 04_Athletics Schedule 1915.jpg

    Excerpt from a 1915 issue of the YMHA Chronicler.

    This item is included in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit at: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/second-and-college-1913-1955
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/03_our-girls-in-gym.jpg

    Scan of a photograph published in The Chronicler depicting women in the gym at the new Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA) building in Louisville, Kentucky.

    This item is included in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit at: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/second-and-college-1913-1955
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/02_markham-builders-advertisement.jpg

    Advertisement for A. Markham Builders published in a 1914 issue of the YMHA Chronicler.

    This item is included in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit at: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/second-and-college-1913-1955
  • https://filsonhistoricalimages.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/01_chronicler_success-number.jpg

    Coverpage of the YMHA Chronicler Success Number, Volume I, No. 3.

    This item was featured in the Bricks and Mortar, Soul and Heart: The Evolution of Louisville's Young Men's Hebrew Association and Jewish Community Center 1890-2022 digital exhibit: https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/exhibits/show/ymha-jcc-louisville/founding-and-early-years
  • Where the River winds (SM8-398).jpg

    Cover of sheet music booklet by Leo Friedman and Herman Kahn.
  • https://filsonhistorical.org/wp-content/uploads/Mss_BJ_C112_112_Articles_of_Inc-1.jpg

    First page of the Louisville, Kentucky, Cabbage Patch Settlement House's 1910 Articles of Incorporation. The incorporators were Alice Hegan Rice, Lizzie Robinson Cecil, Fannie Caldwell Macauley, Mary Louise Marshall, Eliza S. Young, Grace Pollock, and Mary Holloway Tarry.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2