The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects

West Louisville Evangelical Church register, 1916-1945, 1964-1968, 1992

Item

Title

West Louisville Evangelical Church register, 1916-1945, 1964-1968, 1992

Description

Members of a Sunday school operated by the German St. Peter's Evangelical Church formed the West Louisville Evangelical Church in 1915. The congregation built a church in the Shawnee neighborhood at 245 South 41st Street in 1916. A new sanctuary was constructed circa 1926-1927. In 1957, the church changed its name to the West Louisville United Church of Christ. In 1986, the West Louisville United Church of Christ closed due to declining membership, in part because of white flight from West Louisville, and problems maintaining the property. The remaining congregation became members of the historically Black Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ.

This register contains entries for marriages, baptisms, confirmations, attendance at communion services, and deaths from 1916-1945. Members' attendance at communion services is also recorded for 1964-1966. Loose inserts in the ledger include a 1935 license to solemnize marriages for Rev. C. T. Rausch, a 1968 request for a baptism record, undated genealogy notes, and a 1992 Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ bulletin.

Source

Mss. BA P738, Volume 11, Plymouth Congregational Church (Louisville, Ky.) records, The Filson Historical Society, Louisville, Kentucky.

Language

Type

Identifier

MssBAP738_vol11

Original Format

Register

Citation

West Louisville Evangelical Church (Louisville, Ky.), “West Louisville Evangelical Church register, 1916-1945, 1964-1968, 1992,” The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects, accessed July 22, 2024, https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/items/show/6650.

Geolocation

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page