The Davis House, more commonly known today as Davis Tavern, was built by William White, the surveyor of Middletown, in eastern Jefferson County. By 1820 the home was purchased by Abraham Ramsey who modified the house into a tavern. In 1841 Susan B. Davis purchased the home and later passed the home to her daughter Susannah Brown, whose husband, Abell Brown, was granted a tavern license. Hattie Brown and her husband, Dr. Luther Paris Wetherby, inherited the tavern, and eventually converted the tavern into apartments. The structure still stands today, and is now used as the Middletown city hall.
Kiser, Walter H.
Walter H. Kiser Drawings Collection, The Filson Historical Society
This image is issued by The Filson Historical Society. Property rights in the collection belong to The Filson Historical Society. The user is responsible for copyright issues. Permission for use of this image for ANY reason should be obtained by contacting Filson's Curator of Collections via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mss. A K61
Kiser, Walter H. , “Davis House,” The Filson Historical Society , accessed September 22, 2021, https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/items/show/545.