The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects

Browse Items (4 total)

  • MssBA_P738_vol11.pdf

    Members of a Sunday school operated by the German St. Peter's Evangelical Church formed the West Louisville Evangelical Church in 1915. The congregation built a church in the Shawnee neighborhood at 245 South 41st Street in 1916. A new sanctuary was constructed circa 1926-1927. In 1957, the church changed its name to the West Louisville United Church of Christ. In 1986, the West Louisville United Church of Christ closed due to declining membership, in part because of white flight from West Louisville, and problems maintaining the property. The remaining congregation became members of the historically Black Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ.

    This register contains entries for marriages, baptisms, confirmations, attendance at communion services, and deaths from 1916-1945. Members' attendance at communion services is also recorded for 1964-1966. Loose inserts in the ledger include a 1935 license to solemnize marriages for Rev. C. T. Rausch, a 1968 request for a baptism record, undated genealogy notes, and a 1992 Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ bulletin.
  • MssSBJ13_JacksonJulia_reduced.pdf

    This scrapbook was created by Julia M. Jackson Woods (1911-2000), an African American woman from Louisville, Kentucky, who enlisted in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) in November 1942. The scrapbook contains greeting cards, newspaper clippings, and ephemera from Woods' service, as well as more than 20 insignia and patches collected from various units, including her own sergeant stripes. The scrapbook documents the social side of military base life - cards from USO groups and friends, marriages, dances, and other interracial interactions between otherwise segregated regiments stationed at the same bases. A few items at the end of the volume relate to Woods' postwar life in Louisville.

    Woods served in the all-Black 32nd Post Headquarters Company of the WAAC. She did much of her training at Fort Huachuca, Arizona, near the Mexican border; she also served stints in Des Moines, Iowa and Midland, Texas. A clipping on one of the initial pages of the scrapbook notes that Jackson was one of Louisville's first volunteers to join the WAAC. She was discharged on August 14, 1943. After the United States Congress authorized the creation of the Women's Army Corps (WAC), she enlisted in the WAC on May 1, 1944. She ultimately reached the rank of sergeant and served in the military police force. The Army discharged her on December 24, 1945. After her service, she married Thomas Harry Woods (1914-1961) and was hired as the head of the all-Black Western Kentucky Vocational Training School Department of Cosmetology in Paducah, Kentucky, by 1946.

    Built in 1837 by Gabriel Farnsley (1800-1849), Moremen's Villa, now known as Riverside, The Farnsley-Moremen Landing is one of the last remaining nineteenth-century houses in southwestern Jefferson County. The house stands at the center of more than 300-acre landmark property on the banks of the Ohio River.
  • IWC_0631_t.jpg

    View of the street at East Broadway and Barret Avenue with OK Storage building on the right.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2