The Current Annual

Title

The Current Annual

Description

When Central Colored School first opened in 1873, it taught grades 1-8, had 27 students, a principal, and one teacher. Although public schools were established in Louisville in 1829, Central was the first public school that Black students were allowed to attend, with funding coming from taxes on Black-owned properties in the city. Within three years, more than 1,000 students attended classes. In 1882, junior and senior classes were added to accommodate the growing student body. By 1950, the school, by then renamed Central High School, had 1,300 students and 52 teachers. The state’s efforts never fully met the needs of its Black citizens or the funding necessary for quality facilities and materials. Nevertheless, Central became an institution of excellence with high-quality teachers, administrators, and students.

Creator

Central High School

Source

Filson Library Collection

Date

1934

Rights

This image is issued by The Filson Historical Society. Property rights in the collection belong to The Filson Historical Society. The user is responsible for copyright issues. Permission for use of this image for ANY reason should be obtained by contacting Filson's Curator of Collections via research@filsonhistorical.org.

Format

Type

Still image

Identifier

373.058 C397

Files

https://filsonhistorical.org/wp-content/uploads/20200309-112629.jpg

Citation

Central High School, “The Current Annual,” The Filson Historical Society , accessed April 11, 2021, https://filsonhistorical.omeka.net/items/show/1039.