Chestnut Street Mansions
Above is an old mansion at 7th and Chestnut Streets, 1951. The sign over the door reads Huston and a smaller sign to the right of the door reads “COL HOTEL” which by that time, the area being in the African American business district, likely indicates it was a hotel for African Americans. Research identified the mansion as The Huston apartments, at 620 W. Chestnut (the southeast corner of 7th and Chestnut) only listed in the mid-1950s, so the 1951 date is in error. No listing of a hotel by that name appears in the 1950 through 1953 directories. Like so many of these fine old houses, it originally was a single family dwelling. By 1898 it had been converted to a boarding house.