Skip to main content
The Filson Historical Society Digital Projects

B’nai B’rith. Louisville Lodge No. 14 (Louisville, Ky.) Records, 1860-1921

Title

B’nai B’rith. Louisville Lodge No. 14 (Louisville, Ky.) Records, 1860-1921

Description

Collection consists of early organizational records of two Jewish fraternal lodges in Louisville, both independent orders of B’nai B’rith: the Har Moriah Lodge No. 14 and the Mendelssohn Lodge No. 40. In 1904 these two lodges merged to form Louisville Lodge No. 14. These records document the early Jewish community in Louisville, Kentucky.

For the full collection finding aid, see https://filsonhistorical.org/research-doc/bnai-brith-louisville-lodge-no-14-louisville-ky-records-1860-1921/

Creator

B’nai B’rith. Mendelssohn Lodge No. 40 (Louisville, Ky.)

Source

B’nai B’rith. Louisville Lodge No. 14 (Louisville, Ky.) Records, 1860-1921, The Filson Historical Society, Louisville, Kentucky

Date

1860-1921

Type

Collection

Identifier

Mss. BD B661

Coverage

20th century

Collection Items

  • An indexed membership register for the Louisville, Kentucky, B’nai B’rith Mendelssohn Lodge, a Jewish fraternal organization. The register documents members from 1860 to at least 1921. Recorded member information includes their name, place of residence, occupation, marital status, number of children, and date they were inducted.

    The Har-Moriah Lodge No. 14 (“Mt. Moriah”) opened in Louisville in October 1852 and a second B’nai B’rith lodge, the Mendelssohn Lodge No. 40, opened in Louisville in May 1860. Many of the early lodge members were recent Jewish immigrants from parts of now modern Germany who had strong bonds through neighborhood proximity, marriage, and business ventures. The Har Moriah and Mendelssohn lodges officially merged in February 1904 and became Louisville Lodge No. 14.

    Note: The PDF is 523 pages long, so please be patient while it loads.

    For the full collection finding aid, see https://filsonhistorical.org/research-doc/bnai-brith-louisville-lodge-no-14-louisville-ky-records-1860-1921/